Check these before clearing the parcel in the Import Declaration Service for private persons
1. You know that the parcel has arrived
You have received from Posti or some other transport company in Finland a notice of arrival of the shipment in Finland. You can clear the consignment as soon as you see this message in Posti’s item tracking service “Your shipment is waiting to be cleared”.
2. You have an account on the value and content of the parcel
An account on the value and content of the parcel can be, for example, an order confirmation or an invoice.
3. Can the goods to be cleared be found in the manifest
Find out if the goods are included in this goods list of the declaration service (excel). If it’s included, it means that the goods in question can be found easily in the declaration service by searching, and you will not have search for the commodity code. If the goods cannot be found in the list, find out the commodity code via the Commodity code service Fintaric or via Customs Information. After this, you can clear the goods by using the commodity code.
Import Declaration Service for private persons works best with the newest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari. Please make sure you are using one of these browsers.
Tips for using the Import Declaration Service for private persons
- Clear the goods in one session. You cannot save an incomplete declaration and return to it later.
- You have successfully cleared the goods when you see the text “Thank you for clearing your goods! The goods were successfully cleared.” Customs will not send you a separate email message about successfully cleared goods.
- Your clearance details, decision on release and Customs’ requests for additional information and corrections, are available in the service under ‘My declarations’. The clearance decisions and decisions on release are stored for 90 days.
- Check the notice of arrival of your consignment to see whether you personally need to submit the decision on release to the transport company. Without the decision on release, the transport company will not be able to complete the delivery of the parcel.
Visit also the page – About customs clearance, which has basic information on customs clearance:
The recipient of the gift will have to lodge a customs declaration on the gift. If you do not know the contents of the gift, you should ask the sender. You will need to provide information on the contents and value of the gift for customs clearance.
If a gift consignment
- has several recipients
- contains several items and the value of one or more gifts is above 45 euros
- contains coffee or tea in addition to other gifts