Accessibility statement – Customs duty calculator
Finnish Customs aims to guarantee the accessibility of its websites and online services in accordance with the Act on the Provision of Digital Services (306/2019).
This accessibility statement applies to the Customs duty calculator service (tulli.fi/en/customs-duty-calculator).
Alternative service channels
If you are unable to use the Customs duty calculator service, you can contact us by other means. You can use the website of Finnish Customs, call the customs information service (+358 295 5201, Mon–Fri 8 am – 4 pm), send your questions in writing to the customs information service or visit a customer service location.
Accessibility of the service
The current accessibility of the service content partly complies with the requirements laid down in the Act on the Provision of Digital Services. The service will be changed completely during the autumn of 2020.
Identified accessibility issues
Users may still face certain issues in the service. Identified accessibility issues are listed below.
General issues on the website (WCAG 1.3.1, 2.1.1, 2.4.2, 4.1.2)
- No information about the navigation menu being opened can be obtained when using a screen reader (always minimised).
- The opened navigation menu is not the next element after the button in the focus order.
- Speech bubble buttons are difficult to find when using a screen reader, as they have not been built as links and they cannot be used with a keyboard. The focus indicator remains on the “Close” button when a window is closed.
- The “Next” button is only disabled by changing its appearance. Screen readers, however, read the link normally.
- Keyboard focus remains on the “Next” or “Previous” button when a new page is loaded. As a result, screen readers do not indicate that the page has changed, or that a new page has been opened.
Contrast (WCAG 1.4.3)
- The grey text indicating exchange rate information is on a white background.
- The white text in clearance graphics is on an orange background.
- The white text in the “Next” button is on an orange background.
Enlarged text (WCAG 1.4.4)
- The texts of product categories partly cover some icons.
- The “Next” button is partly outside the window.
- The “Go to content” button is only hidden using a size attribute, and it becomes visible when the text is enlarged.
- In some buttons, the text content does not fit the button area.
Progress bar (WCAG 1.3.1, 2.4.4, 4.1.2)
- Different stages in the progress bar are buttons, but their text content (name) does not clearly indicate what each button does.
- The current stage has only been marked visually.
- Users may move on to next stages, although they have not completed a previous stage.
“Product” page (WCAG 1.3.1, 1.4.11, 2.4.3, 4.1.3)
- Sub-headers on the category page have not been marked as headers.
- The “Cancel” button in the product menu has been hidden from screen readers.
- Screen readers do not read the changing VAT and customs duty rate on the left-hand side of the menu when users browse through different options or select an option (programmatic information at the beginning of the window).
- The selected product category is indicated by a change in appearance (an orange frame and a ball icon), and this information is not available programmatically.
- The frame and the white icon used to indicate that a category is selected do not meet contrast requirements.
- When the “Product” menu is closed, the indicator remains on the “Done” button, from where it moves to the bottom of the page.
“Country” page (WCAG 1.1.1, 1.3.1, 4.1.2)
- Programmatic texts of the “Select” buttons do not match their visual content. Screen readers do not provide any information when an option is selected (the button text does not change from a screen reader’s point of view).
- There is a blank visually hidden radiobutton between the area selections that is visible to screen readers (connected to one of the two “Select” buttons).
- Interlinked radiobuttons have not been grouped correctly under the fieldset element.
- Additional information provided in conjunction with the radiobuttons has not been connected to the buttons programmatically.
“Payments” page (WCAG 1.1.1, 1.3.1, 3.2.2, 4.1.2, 4.1.3)
- On the “Payments” page, results are presented separately in screen reader format. However, screen readers also read the visual text content, as it has not been hidden from screen readers. In addition, graphics come before the screen reader format in the code, in which case the latter information may easily be ignored.
- Results are presented in an article element with the “contentinfo” role, although this element should never have this role.
- The “Payments” page includes two <h3> headers with a placeholder text intended for screen readers.
- “Select currency” is an option in the drop-down menu, although “USD” has already been selected as the default value.
- Every drop-down menu on the “Payments” page is under a separate fieldset element, and the label of each drop-down menu has been built using a legend element.
- Calculations are made automatically, with screen readers providing no information about them.
“Transport and customs clearance” page (WCAG 1.1.1, 1.3.1, 3.2.2)
- The page has no headers marked at header levels.
- When radiobuttons are selected, they immediately change the graphics below them.
- The visual relationships of graphics are not transmitted in the reading order.
- The graphics include a description, although screen readers do not read it. The title element is blank.
Animation (WCAG 2.2.2)
- The “What’s the cost” animation on the front page of the calculator does not fulfil accessibility requirements. The animation starts automatically and takes more than five seconds, and it cannot be stopped.
Preparing the statement
Finnish Customs has tested the accessibility of the service as follows:
- Accessibility was tested by Eficode, an external party.
- The service was tested using an external online service, which measures accessibility.
The service was tested in July 2019.
The statement was prepared on 22 July 2020.
The statement was last reviewed on 19 August 2020.
We are happy to receive feedback on the accessibility of this service.
- Please send feedback on accessibility to Finnish Customs by emailing [email protected].
- The customer service and communication unit are responsible for the accessibility of the Customs duty calculator service, and they also respond to feedback given on accessibility.
- We aim to respond to feedback in five working days.
- If you are dissatisfied with the response received from Finnish Customs, you can also send feedback on the accessibility of the service to the Regional State Administrative Agency ([email protected]).