Think about what you buy at the destination, because many products can only be imported in restricted quantities, while some require a licence or may even be prohibited. It’s better not to buy exotic souvenirs or designer purses if you are not sure of the products’ origins. Check in advance what import restrictions and conditions apply for at least the following products:
- medicines and medicinal substances
- products derived from endangered species
- plants and animal-based foodstuffs
- products infringing on the rights of trademark holders and copyright-infringing recordings, that is, pirated products.
Effects of the sanctions against Russia
When travelling from Finland to Russia:
- It is prohibited to export luxury goods (i.e. items worth more than EUR 300). Such goods include smart devices, jewellery and sports equipment.
- Currently, you cannot bring pleasure boats or personal watercraft from Finland to Russia.
When travelling from Russia to Finland:
- There are restrictions on traveller imports of fuel and alcohol.
- All import of cigarettes, cigarillos and cigars is prohibited.
- Travellers on vacation should not bring boats or personal watercraft from Russia to Finland, because they cannot be returned to Russia.
- Arriving in Finland via ports and through canal locks from Russia is prohibited. This includes arriving from Russia through Saimaa Canal.
Please note that the import and export regulations may change quickly due to the sanctions.
Read more: Russian attack on Ukraine
Import and export sanctions on goods also apply to private individuals crossing the Finnish-Russian border
Please have a look at the frequently asked questions.
If you have a question about the arrival of parcels, its contents or the handling fee, please contact Posti.