What kind of gifts should be declared?
A person who receives a gift must declare it (clear it through customs) and pay any import duties due in the following circumstances:
- the value of the gift is more than 45 euros,
- the maximum limits for exemption from customs duty/tax are exceeded, or
- the gift is subject to restrictions.
or if the gift is sent
- from outside the EU customs or fiscal territory, or
- from the EU customs territory but from outside the EU fiscal territory (for example the Channel Islands).
The transport company will inform you when you have to declare the goods.
The transport company will inform you when you need to declare a consignment.
The following, when received as gifts, must always be declared regardless of their value:
- alcoholic beverages
- tobacco products.
Ask the sender for an account of the content and value of the gift consignment.
Read more: Clearing gifts through Customs