The recipient of the gift will have to lodge a customs declaration on the gift. If you do not know the contents of the gift, you should ask the sender. You will need to provide information on the contents and value of the gift for customs clearance.
Read these instructions when you receive or send gifts. Certain goods are subject to restrictions and prohibitions even as gifts. Such goods include foodstuffs, goods manufactured from endangered animals and plants, and snus.
When a private individual sends you a gift
- Only a gift sent from one private individual to another can be exempt from both customs duty and tax. Goods that are ordered and paid for over the Internet and sent to another person are not regarded as gifts in this context. Furthermore, gifts ordered by a business do not comprise gifts referred to in this context, but are to be cleared through Customs and taxed in the normal way. Have a close look at the definition of a gift and value limits.
- If you do not know the contents of your gift, you should ask the sender of the gift. You will need to know the content and value of the gift for customs clearance.
- A gift with a maximum value of 45 euros is exempt from customs duty and tax, with certain exceptions.
- Please note that for example gifts that contain perfumes and foodstuffs are subject to quantitative and other restrictions.
The parcel arrives in Finland at the transport company's warehouse. The transport company sends you an arrival notice, after which you are to clear the consignment through Customs.
- If you do not know the contents of the gift, you should ask the sender. You will need to know the content and value of the gift for customs clearance or a request for release.
- It’s the transport company (Posti or, for example, an express carrier) that stores the consignments, not Customs. Customs does not store or transport consignments.
- Check the arrival notice to find out by what time you have to clear the goods.
- Posti returns postal consignments to the sender if they have not been cleared and the import duties and taxes paid within 20 days of their arrival.
- Express transport companies may return goods faster than Posti.
- Always address any questions you have about your parcel’s arrival notice, storage and transport to the carrier.
Declare your gift onlineTULLI.FI
- You can clear the goods through Customs yourself or authorise someone else to do it on your behalf. Read more about customs clearance alternatives.
- The consignment remains in the carrier’s warehouse until the possible import duties and taxes have been paid to Customs.
For the customs clearance, you need the following:
- the arrival notification
- information on the gift and its value (for example, a free-form account on the sender, recipient, the gift and its value, or a receipt on the goods).
The transport company delivers the parcel to you
- When the import duties and taxes have been paid, Posti will deliver the postal consignment to your home or to the post office nearest to you.
- Posti: Item tracking service
- If your consignment comprises freight and you have cleared it through Customs yourself, be sure to deliver the decision on release you receive via the Import Declaration Service to the freight carrier so that your package can be released from storage. If you need a release decision, you can find it in the Import Declaration Service.