Customs clearance of a postal parcel after delivery
If a postal parcel from abroad, which should have been cleared, has been delivered straight to your home, do a post-clearance. You can do the post-clearance online, by email or by letter.
Sometimes postal parcels, which should be cleared through customs, are delivered straight to the recipient due to incorrect or illegible markings on the dispatch note on the parcel.
Declaring goods online
Choose a customs clearance alternative and read the instructions
Clear your parcel primarily online in the declaration service.
Select Uusi rahtitullaus (new freight clearance).
- Mention in the field for additional information (Tapahtuman lisätiedot) that it is a question of post-clearance.
- Attach the invoice and any other possible attachments.
- Use code 788 in the field Edeltävä asiakirja (Previous document).
- Fill in the document number (the MRN in the AREX declaration or the arrival ID of the postal consignment), if it is known. In the field Ilmoitustiedot (declaration details), choose the customs office: ‘FI002000 –Säh.palv.ke’.
Post-clearance by email or by letter
You can also send Customs a free-form request for post-clearance of the consignment.
- To your application for post-clearance, enclose the order confirmation or the invoice – as well as the certificate of origin (scanned), if applicable.
- Provide your personal identity code or your Business ID in the application.
- Also provide the following details:
- arrival date of the consignment
- has the consignment arrived as a postal consignment or been brought by a freight company
- country of dispatch and country of origin of the goods
- for determining the commodity code, a full goods description in Finnish and purpose of use of the goods.
Send the application with attachments by email to kirjaamo(at)tulli or by post to
Tulli, Tuonnin oikaisuhakemukset
When Customs has processed your request, a customs clearance decision will be sent to the address you provided in your application. Your application will be processed in approximately 1 to 2 months.
Frequently asked questions
Sometimes postal parcels, which should be cleared through customs, are delivered straight to the consignee due to incorrect or illegible markings on the dispatch note on the parcel.
If you receive such a parcel, clear it through customs after delivery. The purchase must be cleared if the VAT payable is 5 euros or more. There is no minimum VAT limit on consignments containing alcohol; the taxes must always be paid. Read more on import taxes.