After your purchase - Do the customs clearance
If you need to clear your purchase, Posti or the freight carrier will send you a notification. Clear the consignment yourself online, or buy the customs clearance as a service from Posti or the carrier. You can also clear your consignment at a customs office. You receive your goods only after they have undergone customs clearance and the taxes have been paid.
- What do I need to know about customs clearance? On the Customs Information page there are clear, short answers to the most frequent questions about online purchases.
Declaring goods online
Posti or the freight carrier will notify you on the arrival of the parcel and whether it needs to be cleared through customs. The notification is often shown in the item tracking service. It can also be, for example, a message via Netposti, a text message or a letter.
If the consignment needs to be cleared, it has to be done by you; Customs will not do it on your behalf.
When is the customs clearance done?
- You can clear the consignment as soon as you receive the notice of arrival. The customs clearance cannot be done in advance.
- Clear your consignment and pay the import taxes within the given time limit, otherwise, the carrier will return your parcel to the sender. Check the time limit in the notification from Posti or the freight carrier.
- If an uncleared postal parcel is delivered directly to your home, you must clear it after delivery. Sometimes postal parcels, which should be cleared through customs, are delivered straight to the recipient due to incorrect or illegible markings on the dispatch note on the parcel. Read the guide on how you clear a postal consignment after delivery.
Choose how to clear your goods
Clear goods online – use the declaration service
The customs online declaration service is free of charge and available 24/7; i.e. always. The service is available in Finnish or Swedish. You can also authorise another person to take care of the customs clearance online on your behalf.
General information on the declaration service
The video Näin tullaat netissä (in Finnish) shows you how to clear a postal consignment online. In the declaration service, you can read more detailed instructions and frequently asked questions and answers regarding customs clearance.
Log in to the declaration service using your online banking IDs, mobile certificate or certificate card. You also need a Finnish personal ID. If you don’t have any of these, you can authorise another person to take care of the customs clearance on your behalf.
As payment method, choose online banking or card (VISA debit/credit and MasterCard debit/credit) or mobile payment. If you want to use the Siirto service, click the button for Nordea’s online bank. In Nordea’s service, click the Siirto tab and follow the instructions. The customers of Osuuspankki can also use Nordea’s Siirto service.
Please observe that the amount to be paid in the declaration service must be at least EUR 0.65.
A postal consignment will be sent directly to your home or to a pick-up point, once you have cleared it and paid the import duties.
Freight consignment – hand over the decision on release to the carrier of the consignment
You will receive a decision on release of the freight consignment from the declaration service. Hand over the decision on release to the carrier of the consignment. The freight carrier can then deliver the consignment to you, or you can pick it up from a location notified by the freight carrier.
When can the declaration service NOT be used?
For example, live animals, weapons and removal goods cannot be cleared using the service.
Postal consignments containing such goods can be cleared at any customs office that handles postal clearances. Freight consignments containing such goods, can only be cleared at the customs office that is closest to the consignment. Find out in advance where your goods are being stored and visit the customs office with customer service that is closest to the warehouse.
Check where the nearest customs office for customs clearance is and when it is open. Go to contact information.
Buy the declaration service from Posti or a forwarding company
A clearance service for online purchases can also be bought. You can authorise Posti or a forwarding company to clear the consignment on your behalf.
- You can authorise Posti to clear your postal consignment for you. Instructions can be found e.g. in the notice of arrival sent to you by Posti. In the Åland Islands, the clearance of postal consignments is handled by Åland Post. Consult Posti or Åland Post for more information.
- You can authorise a forwarding company to clear the freight consignment for you. Consult the freight carrier for more information.
Posti or the forwarding company needs your personal identity code in addition to the details about the consignment. The company will clear your consignment and pay the import taxes to Customs on your behalf. The company will deliver a file copy of the customs clearance to you.
Clear your purchase at the customs office
Choose the customs office according to whether you have a postal consignment or a freight consignment to be cleared. Check where the nearest customs office is, where you can clear your consignment.
This is how you clear the consignment at the customs office
- Bring with you: the notice of arrival, order confirmation/invoice/receipt and your identification and any other documents concerning the consignment.
- Accepted payment methods are: cash, debit card, Visa, MasterCard, Visa Electron, Maestro and cheque.
- Check the opening hours of the customs office in advance. Go to contact information.
- You can also authorise another person to do the customs clearance on your behalf. The authorisation must be in writing.
Choose the correct customs office
A postal consignment can be cleared at any customs office that handles postal consignments. You will not receive the parcel at the customs office, because it is stored in Posti’s warehouse. Posti will deliver the cleared purchase to the address you have provided or to a pick up point.
A freight consignment can only be cleared at the customs office with customer service closest to where the parcel is. Ask the carrier where your consignment is being stored. The carrier can only release the consignment to you after you have provided them with the release decision for the customs clearance.
Check the addresses and the opening hours of the customs offices. Go to contact information.
Frequently asked questions
If the total value of goods in a postal consignment is 22.00 euros or less, you do not have to clear the consignment or pay any import duties on it.
- Remember that alcoholic beverages must always be cleared through Customs and are always subject to value added tax. These products are also subject to excise duties.
- Perfumes and eau de toilette products must also always be cleared through Customs.
If you have received a notification from Posti of the arrival of a consignment that you don’t have to clear, ask for the parcel to be released as follows:
- the order confirmation or invoice or receipt as well as any additional documents,
- the arrival ID of the postal consignment (on the arrival notification from Posti) and
- your contact details
by email to lentoposti(at)tulli.fi.
The cost of a call from a landline or mobile phone subscription is 0 cents/min + local network charge/ standard mobile rate.
In car tax matters, kindly contact the Tax Administration (vero.fi)