After your purchase – do the customs clearance when you are notified of the arrival of a consignment that needs to be cleared
Before you are given the goods you have ordered, you have to clear the consignment through customs and pay the import duties, if any. Posti or the carrier will notify you if the consignment needs to be cleared. The notification is often shown in the item tracking service. Other alternatives are Netposti, an electronic notification, a text message or a letter.
- You must have the consignment cleared within the specified time limit or else it will be sent back to the consignor.
- You can clear the consignment as soon as you receive the arrival notification. The customs clearance cannot be done in advance.
- As the buyer, you are responsible for the customs clearance, Customs will not carry it out for you.
- If an undeclared parcel that should be cleared has been delivered directly to your home, you must clear it after the delivery.
You can do the customs clearance online 24/7
The easiest way for you to do the customs clearance is via Customs’ Import Declaration Service You can also
- buy the customs clearance of a postal consignment as a service from Posti
- buy the customs clearance of a freight consignment as a service from the forwarding company.
- authorise another person to clear the consignment for you and pay the import duties to Customs on your behalf via the Import Declaration Service
- go to a customs office that handles postal clearances.
Declare your goods online – use the Import Declaration Service
Checklist for declaring goods online - you need the following details and documents:
First, have a look at the
- What do I need to know about customs clearance? – Instructions about customs clearance with clear and short answers to the most frequent questions about online purchases
- Video (in Finnish) about online clearance, including instructions for clearing a postal consignment.
The use of the Import Declaration Service is free of charge, and the service is available 24/7
For example live animals, weapons and removal goods cannot be cleared using the service
Some goods are subject to restrictions and prohibitions (such as live animals and weapons), and they cannot be cleared using the Import Declaration Service. For example removal goods cannot be cleared using service either.
- Postal consignments containing these goods can be cleared at any customs office that handles postal clearances.
- Freight consignments containing these goods must be cleared at a customs office. Find out in advance where your goods are being stored and visit the customs office that is closest to that warehouse.
Note! Before you visit us, always check in advance where the nearest customs office for customs clearance is and when it is open. Go to Contact information
The Import Declaration Service is in Finnish and Swedish.
You can also buy the customs clearance as a service
Authorise a forwarding company to clear the consignment for you:
- You can authorise Posti to clear your postal consignment for you. You will find the instructions e.g. in the notice of arrival sent by Posti. Posti will deliver the consignment it has cleared to the address you have provided or to a pick up point. In the Åland Islands, the clearance of postal consignments is handled by Åland Post.
- You can authorise a forwarding company to clear your freight consignment for you.
The company you have authorised needs a personal identity code for the customs clearance
In order to be able to clear your goods, the company you have authorised will ask you to provide your personal identity code in addition to the other details about the consignment. The company will clear your consignment and pay the import duties and taxes to Customs for you, so you do not need to pay them to Customs. The forwarding company will deliver the consignment to you, as well as a file copy of the customs clearance decision.
You can also clear the goods at a customs office
The easiest way for you to clear the goods is online 24/7. You can also authorise another person, Posti or the carrier to take care of the customs clearance for you. If you do not have a Finnish personal identity code, you can clear the goods at a customs office. Always check the opening hours of the customs office in advance. Go to Contact information
- Bring the notice of arrival, order confirmation/invoice/receipt and your identification and any documents concerning the consignment with you
- Accepted means of payment are cash, debit card, Visa, MasterCard, Visa Electron, Maestro and cheque.
- Note that you cannot take the consignment with you from Customs because it is stored in the carrier’s warehouse.
Postal consignments can be cleared at any customs office that handles postal consignments. Note! Before you go to the customs office, check the opening hours. Go to Contact information
Posti will deliver the cleared consignment to the address you have provided or to a pick up point.
Freight consignments can only be cleared at the customs office closest to where the goods are. If in doubt, you can ask the carrier for the storage location of your goods.
The carrier can release the consignment to you only after you have given the release decision concerning the customs clearance to the carrier.
Points to consider
Low-value postal consignments containing goods with a total value of no more than 22 euros
If the total value of goods in a postal consignment is 22.00 euros or less, you do not have to clear the consignment or pay any import duties on it.
- The relief as regards VAT is not applied to tobacco products, alcohol and alcoholic beverages, as these products are always subject to VAT on import and must always be declared. Note that excise duties are always imposed as well.
- Imports of perfumes and eau de toilette products must always undergo customs clearance.
If you have received an arrival notification from Posti of a consignment that you are not required to clear, ask for the postal parcel to be released as follows:
- the order confirmation or invoice or receipt as well as any additional documents
- the arrival ID of the postal consignment (can be found in Posti’s arrival notification)
- your contact details
by e-mail to lentoposti(at)tulli.fi for the parcel to be released.