Ordering goods online
It’s easy to order goods from abroad, but the goods may be subject to restrictions or prohibitions, and you may have to clear your goods through customs and pay taxes.
Did you fail to find your cleared goods in the Import Declaration Service? This is how you find out the commodity code
Do your purchase online
The consignment arrives in Finland at the transport company’s warehouse. The transport company sends you an arrival notice, after which you are to clear the consignment through Customs.
The transport company stores the consignments. Customs does not store them.
Check the arrival notice to find out by what time you have to clear the goods. Take into account possible charges by the transport company for storing the goods.
Posti returns postal consignments to the sender if they have not been cleared and the import duties and taxes paid within 20 days of their arrival.
A transport company may return the consignments even earlier than that.
Always address any questions you have about your parcel’s arrival notice, storage and transport to the transport company.
You can clear the goods through Customs yourself or authorise someone else to do it on your behalf. Read more about customs clearance alternatives. Check with the transport company to find out what storage/service fees apply.
The consignment remains in the transport company’s warehouse until the import duties and taxes have been paid to Customs.
For customs clearance you usually need:
- the notice of arrival
- the order confirmation, invoice or some other account stating the value
- commodity code, If you can’t find the goods in the Import Declaration Service.
- If the parcel is sent directly to your home address, see: Customs clearance of a consignment after delivery
Clear your parcel onlineTULLI.FI
- You can clear the goods through Customs yourself or authorise someone else to do it on your behalf. Read more about customs clearance alternatives. Bear in mind that the carrier may also charge you when you clear the consignment yourself. Check with the carrier to find out what service fees apply.
- The consignment remains in the carrier’s warehouse until the import duties and taxes have been paid to Customs.
For the customs clearance, you need the following:
- the notice of arrival
- the order confirmation, invoice, receipt or similar document
- the commodity code.
If the parcel is sent directly to your home address, see: Customs clearance of a consignment after delivery
The transport company delivers the parcel to you
- When the import duties and taxes have been paid, Posti will deliver the postal consignment to your home or to the pick-up point.
- You can track your consignment using Posti’s Item Tracking or mobile app.
- Before the goods are delivered, the transport company may ask you to deliver the decision on release of the cleared goods. You get the decision on release from the Import Declaration Service. Deliver it to the transport company as instructed.