Moving with pets

You can bring your pet with you when you are moving to Finland. There are various requirements and restrictions around the importation of live animals. They vary according to, for example, on the type of animal and on the country from which it is brought to Finland.

I am moving to Finland with my pet from another EU country, such as Sweden or Germany

  1. Before your move, be sure to check the Finnish Food Authority website (in Finnish) for import requirements.
  2. You do not need to declare your pet to Customs, and your pet does not need to undergo customs clearance. However, note that Customs can inspect your pet and its documents.

I am moving to Finland with a pet from outside the EU, for example from Russia or the United States

  1. Before your move, be sure to check the Finnish Food Authority website for import requirements.
  2. Present your pet and its documents to the authorities in the EU country where you arrive first from outside the EU. The authorities will check your pet and its documents.
Example: If you bring an animal to Finland from the United States and you have a connecting flight from Germany, the German authorities will check the animal. If you bring an animal to Finland from Russia, inspection will take place in Finland, for example in Vaalimaa or Nuijamaa.
  1. When you are in Finland, you should submit an import declaration on removal goods to Customs for declaring your pet. You can submit your declaration at a customs office or through the Customs Clearance Service. You can also authorise a forwarding agency to see to customs clearance. If you declare your pet personally, first read the instructions for completing your declaration. The commodity code for a live cat or dog is 0106190000.

Please note that you can only use Finnish online banking IDs, a mobile certificate or certificate card for logging in to the Customs Clearance Service. Private individuals cannot use the Finnish Authenticator app to identify themselves for using the service.

Read more: Requirements for removal goods to be exempted from customs duty and tax 

When an animal is imported by airplane from outside the EU to Finland

Animals arriving by air whose owner does not travel with them can enter Finland only as air freight. Such animals must undergo a veterinary border control. If a person other than the owner (person accompanying the pet) brings the animal to a new owner in the cabin or hull of an aircraft, the animal will be denied entry to the territory of the EU. An animal that is denied entry can either be returned to the country of departure or put down in accordance with Article 66 of Regulation 2017/625. 

I am moving abroad with a pet

Finland has not implemented any conditions on exporting pets, and Customs does not require a declaration on exporting a pet. Before you leave Finland, you should consult for example the embassy or veterinary authorities of the destination country to find out what regulations apply to the import of animals.

Points to consider

Before the animal arrives in Finland

Find out about the import requirements that apply to your pet and any need for a veterinary border inspection. Read the instructions from the Finnish Food Authority for arranging an inspection.

  1. Submit the documents about the animal to Finnish Food Authority in advance for approval.
  2. The Food Authority will let you know if the animal must undergo a veterinary border inspection. If an inspection is not needed, Customs inspects the microchip on the animal, as well as the documents relating to import requirements (vaccination certificate)
  3. If the animal has to be inspected by the border veterinarian, you should book the veterinary border inspection with the Food Authority no later than 24 hours before the arrival of the animal.

When the animal arrives at Helsinki Airport among air freight

  1. The animal arrives in the temporary storage facility of the freight carrier.
  2. The veterinary border inspection takes place at the veterinary border inspection post.
    - The inspection post is located in the temporary storage facility of Finnair Cargo Oy (Turbiinikuja 4, 01530 Vantaa)
    - The veterinarian will arrive at the BIP at the time you have booked.
    - The person who imports the animal must participate in the inspection.
    - If the animal arrives in some other temporary storage facility besides that of Finnair Cargo Oy, the storage operator transports the animal to the border inspection post, and back to the temporary storage facility.
  3. If a veterinary border control is not performed on the animal, Customs will control the animal's documents and microchip. The person who imports the animal must participate in the inspection.
  4. After the veterinary border inspection, you can
    - authorise a representative to take care of customs clearance on your behalf
    - visit our customer service point for customs clearance at the address Rahtitie 1 A.
    The service point is open on weekdays from 8.00 to 16.15. At other times, you can call the number 0295 527 039.
    If a veterinary border control was performed on the animal, attach the CHED-A document from the Traces system to the customs clearance. If you are moving to Finland from outside the EU, you should attach a document verifying your residency abroad to your customs clearance. This qualifies you to import your animal as removal goods, and you do not have to pay customs duty or tax.
  5. Submit the decision on release to the temporary storage operator so they can hand over the animal to you.

Any questions?

Contact Customs Information Mon–Fri 8 am–4.15 pm

Please have a look at the frequently asked questions.

If you have a question about the arrival of parcels, its contents or the handling fee, please contact Posti.

Customs Information Service