When you have ordered goods
- You must usually declare goods that you import and pay any import duties and taxes due for them within a set time limit before you can obtain the goods.
- As the consignee or importer you are responsible for lodging the customs declaration, if the sender doesn’t do it on your behalf.
- You can submit the customs declaration yourself, or authorise a forwarding company or some other person to lodge it on your behalf.
- The amount of import duties and taxes due is influenced by many factors: the commodity code, the value of the goods, the transport costs, etc.
- If an uncleared postal parcel that should be cleared through Customs is delivered straight to your home, you must submit a customs declaration retrospectively.
Points to consider
Consignments cannot be cleared through Customs in advance.
You can clear a postal consignment once you’ve received the notice of arrival. The notice of arrival can also be sent in electronic format.
The postal consignment can be declared once the following text is displayed in Posti’s item tracking service: “Delivery awaits for your customs declaration. Please handle the customs declaration within 20 days from arrival.”
The postal consignment can be declared as soon as the following text is displayed in Posti’s item tracking service: “The delivery has arrived at the customs warehouse. You have 20 days from the day of the delivery to take care of the customs declaration.”
If you have queries, contact Posti, since Customs does not send arrival notifications. Nor does Customs transport or store any consignments.
Ask the sender for an order confirmation, an invoice or some other credible proof of the value of the goods. Please note! A bank statement or bank receipt is not sufficient proof of the value of the goods.
If you don’t know or you can’t find out the contents of the postal consignment even from its sender, you can make a forwarding agreement with Posti, in which case Posti takes care of the customs clearance. The service is subject to charge. You can contact Posti on 020 451 5900 or huolinta(at)posti.com.
PLEASE NOTE. Customs will not find out the contents of consignments at the request of customers.
If you don’t wish to receive the postal consignment, you should not clear it. If the postal consignment is not cleared within 20 days, the consignment will be returned to the sender. In the case of ordered goods, inform the seller that you have cancelled your purchase.
Before the expiration of the storage time you may notify Posti that you refuse to receive the consignment and that you wish for it to be returned to the sender.
Customs Information Service, Private customers
The cost of a call from a landline or mobile phone subscription is 0 cents/min + local network charge/ standard mobile rate.
In car tax matters, kindly contact the Tax Administration (vero.fi)