No, you’re not. Travellers must carry their own medicines in their own luggage. Medicinal products dispensed on prescription are always personal and must be in the possession of the person to whom they have been prescribed.

The use and possession of radar detectors in motor vehicles is prohibited in Finland. An unconnected radar detector in the car is considered possession. If you are guilty of this offence, the radar detector is seized and you will be fined. The seized radar detector will not be returned; it will be destroyed under Customs supervision.

You must first check the CITES restrictions on clams. For more information, go to the website of the Finnish Environment Institute.

For personal use you can bring in, without veterinary border control, no more than 20 kg of dead clams intended to be eaten. You can also bring in stones, but corals are subject to CITES restrictions.

Please note that it’s your responsibility to find out what restrictions and provisions apply in your country of destination. Finnish Customs cannot give advice on restrictions that apply in other countries.

A phytosanitary certificate is required for cones of the species pinus spp. and pseudostuga spp. brought in from outside the EU, if they are brought in for propagation. Other cones don’t require a phytosanitary certificate as long as they’re brought in for private use.

You may bring less than 10 kg of forest mushrooms and berries for personal use without sampling or measurement of radiation level.

The import from outside the EU to Finland of products made from seals is restricted, and the importer must have a certificate issued by the authority of the state of origin. Products made from seals that are intended for the traveller’s personal use do not require a certificate of origin, but they do have to fulfil the criteria in Customs’ restriction manual.

In addition to the general restrictions, the import of some seal products is prohibited altogether. The importation of raw hides, treated skins and products made out of white seal pups of Greenland and hooded seal pups is prohibited, also from another EU country.

Read more

Some snakes are restricted by CITES, thus liquor containing snakes cannot be brought in without the appropriate CITES permits.                    

More information from Finland’s environmental administration

According to the Tobacco Act, waterpipe tobacco means a tobacco product which can be used exclusively for smoking via a waterpipe. Passenger imports of water pipe tobacco are not restricted by the Tobacco Act, except when the product is brought to Finland from outside the European Economic Area. In such circumstances, the time limits for passenger imports as provided for by section 66 of the Tobacco Act must be noted.

A private person is not allowed to obtain or receive by mail, as a goods shipment or by any other means from a country outside of Finland tobacco products, electronic cigarettes or nicotine-containing liquids purchased from a trader by means of distance communication. 

To bring in tobacco products you must be aged 18 or over.

Passengers can import 250 grams of waterpipe tobacco tax and duty free to Finland from outside the customs and fiscal territory of the EU as well as from the customs territory but outside the fiscal territory. It makes no difference, whether the mixture to be smoked in the pipe contains nicotine or not. This is also the case when importing from the province of Åland to Mainland Finland and importing to the province of Åland from other EU Member States and Mainland Finland.

Read more: Bringing tobacco products from your trip


Tobacco-free herbal mixtures meant to be smoked through a waterpipe, are considered herbal products for smoking under the Tobacco Act. There are restrictions in the Tobacco Act regarding passenger imported waterpipe tobacco, when it is imported from another EU country or a third country, and when it does not contain parts of the tobacco plant. Herbal products meant for smoking are restricted to no more than 200 units of ready-rolled and 250 grams of the loose products, when these products are sold in unit packets which do not carry the required warning labels in Finnish and Swedish. There are no restrictions in the tobacco Act regarding herbal products meant for smoking, when they are imported to Mainland Finland by passengers from the Åland Island. There are also no restrictions in the Tobacco Act on acquiring or receiving herbal products meant for smoking by mail, as a goods shipment or by any other means from a country outside of Finland.

Passengers can bring in 250 grams of waterpipe tobacco tax and duty free to Finland from outside the customs and fiscal territory of the EU as well as from the customs territory but outside the fiscal territory. It makes no difference, whether the mixture to be smoked in the pipe contains nicotine or not. This is also the case when importing from the province of Åland to Mainland Finland and importing to the province of Åland from other EU Member States and Mainland Finland.

A medicinal product always has a retail package and an enclosed patient information leaflet and possibly also a blister pack. You shall take them with you when you travel, because of easier supervision and identification of the product.

The Tobacco Products Directive requires that all tobacco products meant for smoking must have a health warning label with a warning text and colour photograph. The requirements on warning labels apply also to retail packages of nicotine fluids in electronic cigarettes or refill containers, and herbal products meant for smoking.

The passenger import quantities of the said products are restricted through the regulation of the Finnish Tobacco Act based on warning labels. Private individuals are allowed to import only a specific quantity of products lacking warning labels in Finnish and Swedish on the health hazards caused by such products, and only a specific quantity of tobacco products lacking health warning images.

The Ministry for Social Affairs and Health issues more detailed regulations on label texts, images, font type and size, colour, framing, area, placement, rotation, fastening, intactness and other specifications. The main rule is that health warning labels must be done in permanent print, and they must be completely visible and must not break when the retail package is opened. Furthermore, health warning labels must in no way obscure the tax labels or markings concerning price, location, tracking and security, and must hinder their legibility. It is almost impossible to fulfil these requirements by, for example, personally gluing health warning labels on products.

Read more: Bringing back tobacco

You cannot order brass knuckles, a stiletto or throwing stars, because importing them is prohibited.

Read more:

You cannot order medicines and medicinal products from outside the EEA. Medicines corresponding to three month’s use and in packages with a maximum of 30 pieces, can be order from within the EEA without a prescription. When ordering larger amounts, you need a prescription.

Read more: Medicines

The Tobacco Act imposes no restrictions on the import of nicotine-free liquids for use in electronic cigarettes or devices similar to single-use electronic cigarettes prefilled with nicotine-free liquid. It should be noted, however, that the nicotine concentration may not always be appropriately marked on products ordered from abroad. If, upon import, Customs suspects that the nicotine concentration of a product has not been appropriately marked, the product may be examined by the Customs Laboratory.

Both liquids containing nicotine and nicotine-free liquids for electronic cigarettes are excise products.

Read more: Ordering tobacco products online


Private persons are not allowed to bring fireworks to Finland from outside the EEA. The import of fireworks requires a licence, and the Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency (Tukes) does not grant licences to private persons. More information

You cannot order or bring in whale meat. Importing whale meat from any country, including all EU countries, is prohibited by national legislation.

Read more:

It is prohibited to acquire and receive oral tobacco (snus), chewing tobacco and nasal snus from outside Finland by mail or in any other corresponding way.

Read more: Ordering tobacco products online

Yes, you can. However, you yourself have to request your doctor to issue to you a ‘Medical prescription for purchasing medication abroad’ accepted elsewhere in Europe. The medicinal product must also have a sales permit in the country where you are going to buy it.

As a traveller, you may bring medicinal products with you from the EEA in a quantity corresponding to no more than one year’s use. By mail you can only acquire medicinal products from the EEA in a quantity corresponding to no more than three months’ use.

For more information go to the website of the the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health European medical prescription (in Finnish) or to

You cannot send medicines to Finland, because sending medicinal products from one private person to another is prohibited.

Read more: Medicines

Ask the Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira about the restrictions and regulations regarding the importation of pets.

Clear the pet through Customs when you enter the country. Present documents and the invoice for the pet in connection with the customs clearance. You can bring in the pet without paying duties or taxes as long as the value limit for imports by travellers is not exceeded. The value limit is 430 or 300 euros depending on which transport vehicle you use. If the value limit is exceeded, the amount of VAT payable is 24% of the purchase price plus transport costs and possible insurance costs. Read more about import duties and taxes.

If your order is delivered to you from the EU, you do not have to clear the goods nor pay any import duties to Customs.

Please observe that private importation of animal-based products for pets from outside the EU is forbidden. That is, a private person cannot order or receive pet foods from outside the EU.

Each country has its own pharmaceutical legislation, so the traveller should always bring their medicine prescriptions along simply for this reason. Regarding medicines, the requirements for each country can be checked with the embassy of the country in question. When arriving in Finland you need the prescription, or a patient instructions sheet issued by your physician.

Read more: Medicines


From outside the EEA, you are allowed to order medicinal products only in a quantity corresponding to no more than three months’ use; ordering a larger quantity requires a prescription or a patient instruction sheet issued by a doctor. You are not allowed to order any medicines from outside the EEA. Also note the sizes of Finnish packages of over-the-counter medicines, i.e. you can only order Burana from within the EEA in packages of 30 tablets, because in Finland, packages with more than 30 tablets require a prescription. Make sure that you are ordering the products from an operator with a sales permit for the medicines.

Read more about ordering medicines on Fimea’s website: Internet trade in medicines


Most countries have restrictions on imports of medicines. The traveller is responsible for finding out the import restrictions of the country of destination. You can get more information about the restrictions e.g. from the destination country’s authorities. Finnish Customs doesn’t provide information about the import restrictions of other countries.

Take your prescriptions with you. If necessary, with them you can prove that you have the right to have personal medicines with you. If you have an electronic prescription (eResepti), please take one of the following with you when you travel:

  • A patient guide printed by a doctor, listing all the medicines you have been prescribed at the same time.
  • A summary printout of your prescriptions, from the pharmacy.
  • A summary of your prescriptions, which you can print from the National Archive for Health Information (Kanta) using your online banking ID codes.

More information:

  • The website of Kela (the Social Insurance Institution of Finland)
  • Medicines

Prescriptions must be in Finnish or in Swedish, the official languages of Finland. In some cases, English may be accepted, if the official understands English. It's the customer's responsibility to give an account of the contents of the prescription.

Read more: Medicines

There are restrictions on bringing in veterinary medicines, and you may only bring them in if you have your pet with you. If the medicine is a prescription medicine in Finland, you have to have the prescription with you. No prescription is required for bringing in over-the counter medicines.

You can only bring in medicines in a quantity corresponding to one month’s use. If the product can be bought in a store, make sure that the product does not contain biocides. If the product is a biocidal product, it must be registered and it cannot be mentioned in the list of prohibited active biocidal substances.

Read more:

  • Counterfeit products can pose a risk to health or public safety. Counterfeit medicines, vehicle spare parts and electrical devices involve a particularly significant risk.
  • There is no reliable research available on counterfeit products. For example, a clothing item can catch fire or cause an allergic reaction, and children’s toys may contain harmful ingredients and parts that may come loose. Hazardous materials used in counterfeit products can cause cancer. Counterfeit spare parts of vehicles may cause malfunctions and accidents, and counterfeit electronics products may cause short circuits.
  • There is no guarantee for counterfeit products, and the people responsible cannot be tracked down when the product breaks down or causes damage.
  • Vast amounts of money are involved in the counterfeiting business, and they are used to fund organised crime. Do you want to support that?
  • Counterfeits corrode the market for genuine products. As a result, around 100 000 jobs are lost annually in Europe. Your job might be at risk too.
  • Counterfeit products do not yield any tax revenue. The money must be levied by society from some other source, for example your salary.
  • The selling of pirated copies of music, computer software, films and other similar products is depriving their makers of their income.

Customs controls alcohol brought in by travellers from within the EU and can inspect such alcohol. Even when you can take the alcohol products with you after the inspection, the inspection may lead to tax consideration. As of 1 January 2017, the tax consideration will be performed by the Tax Administration. When necessary, the Tax Administration may contact you, and you have the responsibility to account for the purpose of use of the alcohol products even after the import.

According to section 103 of the Act on Excise Duty, Customs has the right to detain excise products if there is any ambiguity about for example the liability to pay taxes, taxability, application of excise regulations or the purpose of import, or if there is some other justified reason for detaining the goods.

Excise duty is levied on products imported for some other purpose than a private person’s personal use. As of 1 January 2017, the Tax Administration is responsible for the taxation. If Customs has detained excise products you have brought in, wait for the Tax Administration to contact you.


CITES products are endangered animals and plants, their parts and products made of them. The import these products may is prohibited or requires a permit. Further information:

  • Pets (e.g. parrots, tortoises and many reptiles) and plants (e.g. orchids)
  • Cosmetics and medicines containing parts of CITES species
  • Clothes and accessories (e.g. wolf fur coat or a crocodile skin bag)
  • Hunting requisites and fishing tackle (e.g. bear hair fly)
  • Fish and fishery products (e.g. sturgeon, caviar, eel).

For the purposes of the Tobacco Act,

  • tobacco product means products made wholly or partly of tobacco (nicotiana) and suitable for consumption. The nicotine-containing liquid used in electronic cigarettes is not regulated as a tobacco product, but as a nicotine liquid through a special provision.
  • smokeless tobacco product means a tobacco product not involving a combustion process, including chewing tobacco, nasal tobacco and tobacco for oral use.
  • tobacco products for smoking means tobacco products other than a smokeless tobacco product. These include cigarettes, cigars and roll-your-own tobacco. In accordance with the Tobacco Products Directive, waterpipe tobacco is also deemed to be a tobacco product for smoking when applying the Tobacco Act.
  • smoking accessories refers to an accessory or implement used for smoking or for the preparation of smoking. For example, cigarette paper and pipes are regarded as smoking accessories.
  • cigarette means a roll of tobacco as defined in section 4(1) of the Act on Excise Duty on Tobacco (1470/1994).
  • cigar means a roll of tobacco as defined in section 3(1) of the Act on Excise Duty on Tobacco.
  • cigarillo means a cigar that weighs no more than three grams.
  • roll-your-own tobacco means tobacco which can be used for making cigarettes by consumers or retail outlets. Tobacco which can be used both as roll-your-own tobacco and via waterpipes shall be deemed to be roll-your-own tobacco.
  • pipe tobacco means tobacco that can be consumed via a combustion process and is exclusively intended for use in a pipe.
  • waterpipe tobacco means a tobacco product which can be used exclusively for smoking via a waterpipe.
  • chewing tobacco means a smokeless tobacco product exclusively intended for the purpose of chewing.
  • nasal tobacco means a smokeless tobacco product that can be consumed via the nose.
  • tobacco for oral use means a tobacco products for oral use, except those intended to be inhaled or chewed, made wholly or partly of tobacco, in powder or in particulate form or in any combination of those forms.
  • herbal product for smoking means a tobacco substitute made of plants and intended for smoking. Instead of tobacco, the product contains other plants, such as herbs and fruits, and can be consumed via a combustion process. Herbal products for smoking include so-called herbal cigarettes as well as tobacco-free herbal mixtures intended for smoking via a waterpipe.
  • electronic cigarette means a product used for inhaling nicotine-containing vapour via a mouth piece, and any component of that product.
  • nicotine liquid means a liquid containing nicotine which is intended to be vaporised using an electronic cigarette and which has a nicotine concentration of no more than 20 milligrams per millilitre and which is not to be used for a purpose defined in section 3(1) of the Medicines Act (395/1987).
  • nicotine-free liquid for vaporisation means a liquid which is intended to be vaporised using an electronic cigarette or in another similar manner and which is not a nicotine liquid.
  • refill container means a receptacle that contains a nicotine liquid, which can be used to refill an electronic cigarette.

Import requirements depend on whether an animal is imported from another EU country or from a non-EU country, and on whether or not the import is of commercial nature. You can check the import requirements e.g. from Evira’s customer service meant for persons importing and exporting pets:

Fimea gives more information on medicines for animals. 

Only such radio equipment that fulfil the EU requirements can be sold and used within the EU. Radio equipment sold in countries outside the EU and EEA, may not satisfy these requirements. The equipment might work on the wrong frequency or with too much power or be otherwise incompatible with radio equipment and radio systems used within the EU. High powered radio equipment or equipment working on the wrong frequency, can interfere with radio equipment of other users. Foreign online stores can provide equipment that use the wrong frequency or too much power, but importing them to Finland and distributing and using them in Finland is prohibited.

The CE conformity marking shows that the manufacturer has ensured that the product fulfils the EU requirements. When you order radio equipment from outside the EU, make sure that the equipment has the CE conformity marking. Moreover, check the packaging, the user instructions or ask the seller if there are restrictions regarding the use of the equipment in Finland.

More information from the Finnish Communications Regulatory Authority:

The importation of certain goods can be prohibited, restricted or may require a permit. Find out the import restrictions before you travel. If you need a licence or permit, it must be acquired before you import goods and must be presented in connection with import. Illicit import may result in criminal sanctions. Examples of restricted or prohibited goods are

  • Plants, food supplements and foodstuffs. More information at  
  • Brass knuckles, stilettos, electric stunners, electric batons
  • Laser pointers. More information at
  • Products infringing on copyright, such as Pirate-CDs or DVDs.

Read more:

The change is related to the comprehensive reform of the Tobacco act aimed at implementing the new Tobacco Products Directive (2014/40/EU).

The legislation was prepared by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health which is entrusted with the general administration and steering related to the Tobacco Act. The Tobacco Act (549/2016) enacted by the Parliament of Finland entered into force on 15 August 2016. The Tobacco Act provides that Customs is the executive authority responsible for supervising compliance with import prohibitions and restrictions enacted in the Tobacco Act. Customs is also responsible for carrying out inspections and performing controls on intra-EU movements, as well as on imports from the Åland Islands to mainland Finland.


Contact us

Customs Information Service, Private customers
Monday to Friday 8 am–4 pm

Contact Customs Information

The cost of a call from a landline or mobile phone subscription is 0 cents/min + local network charge/ standard mobile rate.
In car tax matters, kindly contact the Tax Administration (

Help us improve our site content

We want to improve our website together with our customers. You can give us feedback by clicking “Send feedback”.

Send feedback