Information on the effects of Brexit to private persons
Negotiations on the withdrawal of the UK from the EU are ongoing, and there are several alternatives for a deal. You should be prepared for the possibility that the UK will become a non-EU country in the same way as China and the United States.
What are the effects of Brexit?
What are the effects of Brexit on ordering goods from the UK?
When you order goods online, you should be prepared that orders made from the UK will be cleared through Customs and taxed in the same way as online purchases from non-EU countries such as China or the USA.
What does this mean in practice?
If the value of your consignment exceeds 22 euros, it is subject to tax and must undergo customs clearance.
Exceptions to this rule include alcohol, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, perfumes and eau de toilette products, which must always be cleared through Customs. The minimum amount of VAT levied is 5 euros. The VAT free value limit does not apply to tobacco products, alcohol, alcoholic beverages or perfumes.
- Have a look at the instructions on what you need to know about customs clearance.
- Use the customs duty calculator to get an estimate of the amount of customs duties and value added tax. You will also find instructions on online purchases and customs clearance in the customs duty calculator.
- You can personally do the customs clearance in our online service.
- See our video (in Finnish) about online clearance, including instructions for clearing a postal consignment.
What are the effects of Brexit on travelling to the UK?
Detailed information on travelling to Britain is available from the UK authorities.
You should be prepared that when travelling to Finland from the UK, the same restrictions, provisions and value limits on duty-free imports will apply as when arriving from a non-EU country.
Read more: Instructions for travellers.
How does Brexit affect receiving gifts from the UK?
Be prepared that gift consignments from the UK are subject to the same restrictions, provisions and value limits concerning exemption from customs duty and duty-free imports as gifts sent from outside the EU.
Read more: Gift consignments.
How should I take Brexit into consideration if I move from the UK to Finland?
Be prepared that moving from the UK to Finland is subject to the same restrictions, provisions and value limits concerning exemption from customs duty and duty-free imports as moving to Finland from outside the EU.
Read more: Information for persons moving.
Be sure to follow the news on the Brexit topic.
- Ministry of Interior: right of residence, residence permits and border checks
- Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment of Finland: impact on citizens
- Information on Brexit for businesses (tulli.fi)