Customs duty calculator – service outlines
- The information and the results yielded by the calculator comprise an element of general information provided by the Customs Information Service, and does not constitute binding information.
- The calculator does not enable the calculation of tax on excise products such as alcoholic beverages. Read more about excise taxation on the Tax Administration website.
- When you use the calculator, you must select the region primarily based on the country where the goods originate. If you do not know the country of origin, you can select the region based on the country of dispatch. Customs duties are usually determined according to the country of origin, not the country of dispatch.
- The calculator gives the amount of general customs duty to be paid. It does not observe any possible customs benefits which may be obtained when the prerequisites for preferential treatment are met and you present an acceptable account on those prerequisites being met.
- Please note also that the calculator does not indicate possible anti-dumping duties, countervailing duties or additional duties.
- As the orderer of goods, you are responsible for finding out about any import restrictions the goods may be subject to. More information is available for example on the Customs website: Customs restrictions manual (in Finnish).
- Customs duty is collected on goods if the their total value exceeds 150 euros. This value limit does not apply to alcohol products, tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, perfumes or eau de toilette products.
- If an item is delivered to you from inside the EU customs territory, but from outside the EU tax territory, you usually have to pay VAT on it.
Please note that the estimated amount of tax generated by the calculator may differ from the amount which you must actually pay when you clear your goods through Customs. The purchase price of the goods is always converted into euros based on the exchange rate valid on the date of customs clearance. Customs confirms the exchange rates once a month.
Upon request, Customs may issue a binding advance ruling, subject to charge, on the application of the Value Added Tax Act, the Act on Excise Duty and the Act on Fairway Dues. Binding information on tariff and provenance is usually free of charge.
Carbon footprint calculator of Finnish Customs
The figure provided by our carbon footprint calculator describes the emissions created when a consignment weighing 0.5 kg is transported from a certain country to Finland by sea or air. In transports by sea, the transport distance has been estimated as an average value using typical transport routes from various ports of dispatch. Movements by road are also taken into account in the distance, if the goods must be transported by truck or train to the port from the biggest cities in the country of dispatch.
The emission figure is an estimate and does not give exact data on the emissions of the consignment. The life cycle of the figure is 2–3 years.
Trial use of the calculator at Customs has started on 28 March 2023. During this trial, data is gathered regarding e.g. user numbers to support the development of the service.
What does the carbon footprint describe?
The carbon footprint describes how much carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions are created during the life cycle of a certain product or activity.
The average carbon footprint of a Finnish person is more than 10 tons per year. You can calculate your own carbon footprint using the Finnish Environment Institute’s climate diet calculator.
Creators of the calculator
The carbon footprint estimates have been made by Anni Niemi and Laura Sokka, researchers at the VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd.
The assessment of the transport distances is based on the routes used by the biggest freight transport companies and on various transport distance calculators and routing services (e.g. Routescanner and Fluent Cargo). The greenhouse gas emission factors have been calculated based on factors published by the government of the United Kingdom (Greenhouse gas reporting: conversion factors 2022).