Submitting an import declaration in advance
Goods cannot be released into free circulation before their arrival in Finland, as they must be available to Customs for control when they are presented.
If a security data declaration or a transit declaration has been submitted for the goods, it is possible to submit an import declaration in advance before the arrival and presentation of the goods. Customs can request documents relating to the customs declaration in advance, but will only release goods into free circulation once they have arrived in Finland and have been presented to Customs.
If you have the MRN of the previous document, you can submit an advance declaration concerning a freight consignment, (for example an AREX declaration or MRN of a transit declaration). You can submit the declaration, at the earliest, 30 days prior to the arrival of the goods and presentation to Customs. If you do not have the details of the previous document, you can ask them from the transport company that carries your goods. If the previous document has been presented to Customs, an advance declaration cannot be submitted.
You can submit an advance declaration on a postal consignment only if Posti has informed you in advance that it is possible.
Pre-lodged standard import declaration
Provide both items of information:
- Additional declaration type ”D – Advance standard customs declaration”
- If the previous document is an entry summary declaration, provide the code for the previous document and its reference MRN, as well as the consignment ID.
For example: ”N355 – Entry summary declaration” and the reference MRN (for example 22FI000000000000I0) and the consignment number (for example 5).
Pre-lodged simplified import declarations
You can also lodge simplified import declarations in advance, if you have the details of the previous document.
See the guidance on submitting simplified customs declarations for import:
- If you’re submitting a supplementary declaration for each simplified declaration, read the guidance on the page “Supplementary customs declaration for each simplified declaration”.
- If you’re submitting a supplementary declaration as recapitulative declaration for a period, read the guidance on the page “Supplementary recapitulative import declaration for a period”.
An EIDR presentation notification cannot be lodged in advance, as the goods must have physically arrived at the location specified in the authorisation when the notification is lodged. Read more about customs clearance with an authorisation for entry in the declarants records.
Pre-lodged standard import declaration
If you have entered ”D – Advance standard customs declaration” as the additional declaration type, and the previous document you declare has already been presented to Customs, you will receive a notification on rejection stating that the status of the previous document is incorrect.
- Re-enter “A - Standard customs declaration” as the additional declaration type, and send a completely new declaration to Customs.
Note that if your declaration is amended, it is no longer possible to correct the additional declaration type once Customs has taken the declaration in for processing, and once it has been given an MRN.
Pre-lodged simplified import declaration
If you have provided “F – Pre-lodged simplified declaration with regular use” or ”E – Pre-lodged simplified declaration on occasional basis” as the additional declaration type and the previous document you provided has already been presented to Customs, you will get a rejection message saying that the state of the previous document is invalid. Proceed as follows:
- Change the additional declaration type to either of the following:
- “C – Simplified customs declaration with regular use”
- ”B – Simplified declaration on occasional basis"
- After this, you can submit the declaration to Customs as a new declaration.
Note that if your declaration is amended, it will not be possible to correct the additional declaration type once Customs has started processing the declaration and it has been assigned an MRN.