Declaration reform underway
The customs declarations will be renewed in phases
Message declarants that submit customs declarations must update or renew their declaration systems to comply with the customs legislation of the EU in 2020–2025. Online declarants will start using a new online service.
The new declaration systems have been determined by the EU. They will be introduced in phases according to the timetable set in the Commission IT strategy. The strategy is assessed annually and any timetable changes are confirmed by legislation.
In Finland, the new requirements for customs declarations have been first applied to customs warehousing declarations since 1 June 2019. According to the current timetable, new declarations will be introduced in Finland as follows:
- import declarations for release for free circulation at the end of 2020
- import declarations for special procedures – processing, end-use and temporary admission – at the end of 2021
- temporary storage declarations for goods arriving by sea or air at the end of 2021.
- export, exit and transit declarations in 2021–2023
- safety and security declarations for goods arriving from outside the EU in 2021–2024
According to the current schedule, new declarations will be introduced in Finland for example
- for customs warehousing 2019
- for import and temporary storage at the end of 2020
- for export and transit 2021–2023
Finnish Customs provides support during the reform – what kind of support would you like?
We are supporting our customers in many ways during the reform of the customs clearance systems. We arrange webinars and publish online recordings and various guides. We publish instructions on customs declaration, both texts and videos. We provide information on customer events separately.
- Webinars (in Finnish)
- Instructions for using the e-service (in connection with the publication of the service)
- Instructions on procedures (on the pages for import, export, transport and warehousing)
- Message exchange instructions
What is the easiest way for you to follow the changes? Let us know at: ucc(at)tulli.fi.