Declaration reform in stages in 2020–2025
Message declarants who submit customs declarations must update or renew their declaration systems to comply with the customs legislation of the EU in 2020–2025. Online declarants will start using a new online service.
The new declaration systems have been determined by the EU. They will be introduced in phases according to the timetable set in the Commission IT strategy. The strategy is assessed annually and any timetable changes are confirmed by legislation.
Timetable in Finland
The renewed customs clearance system is already in use in Finland for
- customs warehousing declarations
- import declarations by private persons.
Other new declarations will be introduced in Finland as follows (timetables will be specified later):
- import declarations for goods to be released for free circulation at the end of 2021 (with the exception of simplified declarations)
- simplified declarations for import at the end of 2021 (renewed declarations for missing documents can be submitted as early as spring 2021)
- declarations for special procedures, i.e., inward processing, end-use and temporary admission – at the end of 2021
- temporary storage declarations for goods arriving by sea or air at the end of 2021
- declarations for export, exit and transit by EU Member States from 2021 to 2023 (The aim in Finland is to begin testing by autumn 2022)
- Safety and security declarations for goods arriving from outside the EU from 2021 to 2024 (2021 postal freight and express freight, 2023 other air traffic and 2024 other modes of transport)
Finnish Customs provides support during the reform – what kind of support would you like?
We are supporting our customers in many ways during the reform of the customs clearance systems. We arrange webinars and publish online recordings and various guides. We publish instructions on customs declaration, both texts and videos. We provide information on customer events separately.
- Webinars (in Finnish)
- Instructions for using the e-service (in connection with the publication of the service)
- Instructions on procedures (on the pages for import, export, transport and warehousing)
- Message exchange instructions
What is the easiest way for you to follow the changes? Let us know at: ucc(at)tulli.fi.