Phased changes to customs declarations in 2020–2025
Message declarants who submit customs declarations must update or upgrade their declaration systems to comply with EU customs legislation in 2020–2025. Online declarants will start using a new online service.
The new declaration systems have been determined by the EU. They will be introduced in phases according to the timetable set out in the Commission’s IT strategy. The strategy is assessed annually and any timetable changes are confirmed by legislation.
Timetable in Finland
The new customs clearance system is already in use in Finland for
- import and customs warehousing declarations
- import declarations by private individuals
- presentation notifications regarding safety and security declarations submitted for postal consignments arriving from outside the EU (the safety and security declarations are submitted to the Commission’s system)
- temporary storage declarations for goods arriving from EU airports and ports.
Other new declarations will be introduced in Finland as follows (timetables will be specified later):
- presentation notifications regarding safety and security declarations submitted for goods arriving from outside the EU by air as of 1 January 2023 (the safety and security declarations will be submitted to the Commission’s system as of 1 January 2023)
- transit declarations in September 2023
- export and exit declarations in spring 2024
- presentation notifications regarding safety and security declarations submitted for goods arriving from outside the EU by sea, rail and road in spring 2024 (the safety and security declarations will be submitted to the Commission’s system)
From customer feedback to implementation
Finnish Customs provides support during the reform – what kind of support would you like?
We are supporting our customers in many ways during the reform of the customs clearance systems. We arrange webinars and publish online recordings and various guides. We publish instructions on customs declaration, both texts and videos. We provide information on customer events separately.
- Webinars (in Finnish)
- Instructions for using the e-service (in connection with the publication of the service)
- Instructions on procedures (on the pages for import, export, transport and warehousing)
- Message exchange instructions
What is the easiest way for you to follow the changes? Let us know at: ucc(at)tulli.fi.