How to identify yourself and grant mandates
Suomi.fi identification and authorisations will gradually replace Katso identification in Customs’ e-services. The use of Katso identification and authorisations will end in 2020, at a date to be determined later. We recommend using Suomi.fi whenever possible.
These services use Suomi.fi identification and authorisations as well as Katso identification and authorisations for customers who cannot use Suomi.fi yet:
- Export Declaration Service
- Transit Declaration Service
- Customs Warehousing Declaration Service
- Intrastat Declaration Service
- Authorisation Service
- Attachment Upload Service
- Applying for an EORI number
- Applying for a message exchange authorisation
- Message exchange testing service
- Åland tax border declarations
In these services, only Suomi.fi identification and authorisations are used:
- The Customs Decisions System (CDS) for applying for authorisations valid in more than one Member State (EU Trader Portal)
- The BTI service for applying for binding tariff information decisions (EU Trader Portal)
- The eAEO service for applying for AEO authorisations (EU Trader Portal)
In these services, only Katso identification and authorisations are used:
- Import Declaration Service
- Safety and Security Declaration Service AREX
Suomi.fi identification and authorisations cannot be used as of yet by
- foreign persons or companies
- estates, business partnerships, deemed partnerships, joint administrations and public organisations
- companies in which two or more persons jointly have signatory rights.
If you belong to one of these groups, you can start using Suomi.fi identification and authorisations later in 2020.
As an identified customer in our e-services you can
- clear your consignment and pay import duties in the Import Declaration Service for private persons
- submit export declarations in the Export Declaration Service
- submit attachments to export and transit declarations in the Attachment Upload Service
- send a question to our service Contact Customs Information.
Identification for EU citizens
eIDAS identification is not yet in use in the Import Declaration Service for private persons, Export Declaration Service, Contact Customs Information or Attachment Upload Service. There are, however, the following alternatives:
- Authorise another person to declare the goods on your behalf in our Import Declaration Service for private persons.
- Call the Customs Information Service to ask for advice.
- Authorise an agent, e.g. a forwarding company or Posti, to declare the goods on your behalf.
- Submit an export declaration without identification in our Export Declaration Service
- Send attachments to Customs by email.
- Visit a customs office. Contact information and opening hours
Why should you be identified when using our services?
When you are identified, you can usually handle your customs transactions without having to visit a customs office. You can also use declarations you have submitted earlier as templates for new declarations and browse them in the service to a limited extent for a specific period of time. However, when using the online Transit Declaration Service, you must always visit a customs office when starting the transit procedure.