When you return from your trip

Please read our instructions before returning to Finland. On these pages, you’ll find information about goods brought in by travellers and about import restrictions.

If you can’t find the answer or if you’re unsure, please contact us for advice.

Points to consider

  • The powers of Finnish Customs are provided for in various laws.
  • The actions taken by Customs are always based on the legislation.
  • Customs has the right to inspect travellers, luggage and vehicles. Customs has the right to question travellers also in intra-EU traffic.
  • Customs can use detector dogs, X-ray or other technical equipment when carrying out inspections.
  • Travellers taken in for inspection must personally unpack their luggage for inspection and repack it after the inspection.
  • Travellers must give their personal details to Customs.

Customs supervises the import of plant-based foodstuffs, but spices brought in by private persons for personal use or as gifts are not subject to supervision. There are, however, risks related to spices, as they may contain e.g. mould toxins or salmonella. Certain spices have been under intensified EU-level supervision particularly because they have given rise to health concerns. Poor quality can only be detected in laboratory tests.

Read more: Foodstuffs

You must first check the CITES restrictions on clams. For more information, go to the website of the Finnish Environment Institute.

For personal use you can bring in, without veterinary border control, no more than 20 kg of dead clams intended to be eaten. You can also bring in stones, but corals are subject to CITES restrictions.

Please note that it’s your responsibility to find out what restrictions and provisions apply in your country of destination. Finnish Customs cannot give advice on restrictions that apply in other countries.

Prescriptions must be in Finnish or in Swedish, the official languages of Finland. In some cases, English may be accepted, if the official understands English. It's the customer's responsibility to give an account of the contents of the prescription.

Read more: Medicines

The right of private persons to bring in seeds is subject to plant health requirements. Read more in Evira’s instruction Import requirements for plants brought in by travellers (in Finnish)

  • For personal use you can bring in 200 g of seeds from European countries outside the European Union. Both from EU countries and from non-EU countries you can freely bring in seeds for which a phytosanitary certificate is not required. Note that in accordance with the Seed Trade Act, it is prohibited to bring in any seeds from Russia. It is also prohibited to bring in any pine and Douglas fir seeds.

You can read about the requirements according to the Seed Trade Act in Evira’s instruction for seed importers and marketers (in Finnish)

  1. A private person doesn’t need to register as importer in case of a single import transaction where the total amount of the imported seeds doesn’t exceed 200 grams.
  2. A private person doesn’t need to notify Evira’s Seed Certification Unit of the import transaction if the amount of seeds doesn't exceed 200 grams.
  3. When private persons bring in seeds, they have to make sure that the import country’s seed certification system corresponds to the EU system according to point 2.2 in the instruction. If the amount of seeds exceeds 200 g, the seed varieties must be listed in the EU’s catalogue of varieties, see Annex 2 to the instruction.

Goods that have been forgotten in hotel rooms, airports etc. must be cleared by Customs in the normal way.

When you can provide reliable proof that you have taken the goods out of the EU and that the goods are your personal belongings, you can clear them in accordance with the regulations on return goods.

Unionin tullialueella asuva luonnollinen henkilö voi tuoda unionin tullialueelle kaupalliseen tai yksityiseen käyttöön unionin tullialueen ulkopuolelle rekisteröidyn kuljetusvälineen väliaikaisesti täysin tullitta, jos hän täyttää seuraavat edellytykset:

  • Hänellä on työsopimus kuljetusvälineen omistajan, vuokraajan tai leasingvuokraajan kanssa ja työnantaja on sijoittautunut unionin ulkopuolelle.
  • Hän pystyy pyydettäessä esittämään kopion em. työsopimuksesta.
  • Yksityinen käyttö rajoittuu ainoastaan työntekijän työskentelypaikan ja asuinpaikan välisiin matkoihin tai työntekijälle työsopimuksen perusteella osoitettujen työtehtävien hoitamiseen.

Kaupallista käyttöä on kuljetusvälineen käyttö henkilöiden kuljettamiseen vastiketta vastaan tai tavaroiden teolliseen tai kaupalliseen kuljetukseen vastiketta vastaan tai vastikkeetta.

Yksityiskäytöllä tarkoitetaan muuta kuin kaupallista käyttöä.

Työsuhteen todistaminen

Mikäli kuljetusvälineen kuljettaja ei pysty todistamaan työsuhdettaan kuljetusvälineen omistajaan, vuokraajaan tai leasingvuokraajaan esittämällä pyydettäessä kopion työsopimuksestaan, ei kyseistä kuljetusvälinettä saa tuoda tuontitullitta unionin tullialueelle.

Kuljetusvälineen käyttäminen unionin tullialueella

Kuljetusvälineen unionin tullialueelle tuonut henkilö

  • vastaa siitä, että kuljetusvälinettä ei yksityiskäytössä käytetä muihin tarkoituksiin kuin hänen työskentelypaikkansa ja asuinpaikkansa välisiin matkoihin tai työsopimuksensa perusteella hänelle määrättyjen työtehtävien hoitamiseen
  • vastaa myös siitä, että hän ei luovuta kyseistä kuljetusvälinettä sellaiselle henkilölle, joka ei omalta osaltaan täytä kaikkia em. vaatimuksia.

Näiden edellytysten rikkominen johtaa tullivelan ja maahantuonnin arvonlisäveroa koskevan velan syntymiseen ja kantamiseen.

Sovellettava lainsäädäntö:

  • Delegoitu asetus, 215 art.
  • UTK, 250 art. 2 k d
  • Tietyissä yksityistä käyttöä koskevissa tapauksissa on huomioitava myös autoverolain (1482/1994) väliaikaista verotonta käyttöä koskevat säännökset ja hakemusmenettelyt.

Contact us
Customs Information Service, Private customers
Monday to Friday 8 am–4 pm

Contact Customs Information

The cost of a call from a landline or mobile phone subscription is 0 cents/min + local network charge/ standard mobile rate.
In car tax matters, kindly contact the Tax Administration (vero.fi)


Help us improve our site content

We want to improve our service, which is why your feedback is valuable to us. If you have ideas on how our web services could be developed further or if you wish to give us feedback, please let us know.

Send feedback