The customs duty calculator – limitations of the service
- The result given by the customs duty calculator is always only indicative.
- The calculator cannot be used to calculate the taxes for excise duty products, such as alcohol. Read more about excise taxation on the website of the Tax Administration.
- The calculator only indicates the amount of general customs duty and does not take into account possible customs benefits on the goods when the prerequisites for preferential treatment of the goods are fulfilled and the necessary proof is provided.
- Also note that the calculator does not indicate possible anti-dumping and countervailing duties or additional duties.
- Note that VAT is collected on the consignment if the total value of the goods exceeds 22 euros.
- However, this value limit is not applied to tobacco products, alcohol, alcoholic beverages or perfumes.
- The minimum amount of VAT levied is 5 euros. For imports of alcoholic beverages and tobacco products sent to private persons, this limit is not applied. The VAT is levied also when it amounts to less than 5 euros.
- Customs duty is collected on the consignment if the total value of the goods exceeds 150 euros. However, this value limit is not applied to alcoholic products, tobacco, tobacco products, perfumes or eau de toilette products.
- If the item is delivered to you from inside the EU customs territory, but from outside the tax territory, you usually have to pay VAT on it.
Currency conversion rates
For customs clearance, the value of the consignment and transport costs are declared in the currency stated on the invoice or order confirmation. The purchase price is converted into euros according to the conversion rate applicable on the day of the customs clearance transaction as confirmed by Customs.
Customs Information Service, Private customers
The cost of a call from a landline or mobile phone subscription is 0 cents/min + local network charge/ standard mobile rate.
In car tax matters, kindly contact the Tax Administration (vero.fi)