Customs clearance of online purchases
In the picture below, you can see the stages of the customs clearance process. When you click on the icons you’ll find more information about the most important things you need to know or do at each stage of the process.
Do your purchase online
The parcel arrives in Finland at the carrier’s warehouse. The carrier sends you an arrival notice, after which you are to clear the consignment through Customs.
- It’s the carrier (Posti or, for example, an express carrier) that stores the consignments, not Customs.
- Check the arrival notice to find out by what time you have to clear the goods.
- Posti returns postal consignments to the sender if they have not been cleared and the import duties and taxes paid within 20 days of their arrival.
- An express carrier may return the consignments even earlier than that.
- Always direct any questions you may have about the parcel’s arrival notice, storage and transport to the carrier.
- If a parcel that should have been cleared has been delivered to your home, you should do the customs clearance afterwards.
- Read more: Customs clearance of a postal parcel after delivery
Clear your parcel onlineTULLI.FI
- You can clear the goods through Customs yourself or authorise someone else to do it on your behalf. Read more about customs clearance alternatives. Bear in mind that the carrier may also charge you when you clear the consignment yourself. Check with the carrier to find out what service fees apply.
- The consignment remains in the carrier’s warehouse until the import duties and taxes have been paid to Customs.
For the customs clearance, you need the following:
- the notice of arrival
- the order confirmation, invoice, receipt or similar document
- the commodity code.
The carrier delivers the parcel to you
- When the import duties and taxes have been paid, Posti will deliver the postal consignment to your home or to the nearest post office.
- Track your consignment: Posti’s item tracking
- If the consignment is a freight consignment, and you have cleared it yourself, submit the release decision you have obtained from the Import Declaration Service to the carrier.