Moving to/from Finland
For the purposes of the Tobacco Act,
- tobacco product means products made wholly or partly of tobacco (nicotiana) and suitable for consumption. The nicotine-containing liquid used in electronic cigarettes is not regulated as a tobacco product, but as a nicotine liquid through a special provision.
- smokeless tobacco product means a tobacco product not involving a combustion process, including chewing tobacco, nasal tobacco and tobacco for oral use.
- tobacco products for smoking means tobacco products other than a smokeless tobacco product. These include cigarettes, cigars and roll-your-own tobacco. In accordance with the Tobacco Products Directive, waterpipe tobacco is also deemed to be a tobacco product for smoking when applying the Tobacco Act.
- smoking accessories refers to an accessory or implement used for smoking or for the preparation of smoking. For example, cigarette paper and pipes are regarded as smoking accessories.
- cigarette means a roll of tobacco as defined in section 4(1) of the Act on Excise Duty on Tobacco (1470/1994).
- cigar means a roll of tobacco as defined in section 3(1) of the Act on Excise Duty on Tobacco.
- cigarillo means a cigar that weighs no more than three grams.
- roll-your-own tobacco means tobacco which can be used for making cigarettes by consumers or retail outlets. Tobacco which can be used both as roll-your-own tobacco and via waterpipes shall be deemed to be roll-your-own tobacco.
- pipe tobacco means tobacco that can be consumed via a combustion process and is exclusively intended for use in a pipe.
- waterpipe tobacco means a tobacco product which can be used exclusively for smoking via a waterpipe.
- chewing tobacco means a smokeless tobacco product exclusively intended for the purpose of chewing.
- nasal tobacco means a smokeless tobacco product that can be consumed via the nose.
- tobacco for oral use means a tobacco products for oral use, except those intended to be inhaled or chewed, made wholly or partly of tobacco, in powder or in particulate form or in any combination of those forms.
- herbal product for smoking means a tobacco substitute made of plants and intended for smoking. Instead of tobacco, the product contains other plants, such as herbs and fruits, and can be consumed via a combustion process. Herbal products for smoking include so-called herbal cigarettes as well as tobacco-free herbal mixtures intended for smoking via a waterpipe.
- electronic cigarette means a product used for inhaling nicotine-containing vapour via a mouth piece, and any component of that product.
- nicotine liquid means a liquid containing nicotine which is intended to be vaporised using an electronic cigarette and which has a nicotine concentration of no more than 20 milligrams per millilitre and which is not to be used for a purpose defined in section 3(1) of the Medicines Act (395/1987).
- nicotine-free liquid for vaporisation means a liquid which is intended to be vaporised using an electronic cigarette or in another similar manner and which is not a nicotine liquid.
- refill container means a receptacle that contains a nicotine liquid, which can be used to refill an electronic cigarette.
According to the Tobacco Act, waterpipe tobacco means a tobacco product which can be used exclusively for smoking via a waterpipe. Passenger imports of water pipe tobacco are not restricted by the Tobacco Act, except when the product is brought to Finland from outside the European Economic Area. In such circumstances, the time limits for passenger imports as provided for by section 66 of the Tobacco Act must be noted.
To bring in tobacco products you must be aged 18 or over.
Read more: Bringing back obacco
The change is related to the comprehensive reform of the Tobacco act aimed at implementing the new Tobacco Products Directive (2014/40/EU).
The legislation was prepared by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health which is entrusted with the general administration and steering related to the Tobacco Act. The Tobacco Act (549/2016) enacted by the Parliament of Finland entered into force on 15 August 2016. The Tobacco Act provides that Customs is the executive authority responsible for supervising compliance with import prohibitions and restrictions enacted in the Tobacco Act. Customs is also responsible for carrying out inspections and performing controls on intra-EU movements, as well as on imports from the Åland Islands to mainland Finland.
Customs Information Service, Private customers
The cost of a call from a landline or mobile phone subscription is 0 cents/min + local network charge/ standard mobile rate.
In car tax matters, kindly contact the Tax Administration (vero.fi)