If you are planning on exporting and importing, familiarise yourself with Customs instructions on these pages.
EU’s customs and fiscal territory
Countries and territories that are in a customs union with the EU
Countries and territories that are part of the customs territory but not
Common Transit Area
When you plan on engaging in foreign trade
You usually contact Customs when you receive or send goods from within the customs’ and fiscal territory of the European Union (EU) or receive or send goods from outside EU's fiscal territory. The map shows to which territory the country of destination and departure belongs.
The service path shows the most essential actions to be taken or observed before you can customs clear, store, transport or export goods.
Find out the country of destination and departure or whether the goods have already been cleared into the EU.
- Do you only trade with other EU countries? Read more about intra EU-trade (Intrastat).
- If goods are delivered to Finland from outside the EU’s customs and fiscal territory, or from within its customs territory but outside its fiscal territory, they must be cleared through customs.
- Goods can also be delivered from the EU territory, even though they have not been customs cleared into the European Union.
Find out the precise goods information in advance.
- You need a precise goods description and also a commodity code in most cases. The commodity code determines, among other things, the amount of customs duty and the restrictions.
- Using the right commodity code is also important for the company. The company can thus price the imported product right and avoid possible tax reassessment and other sanctions.
- The basis for determining the Commodity Code is available on the Customs website. Customs’ information service can help you if needed.
Apply for the authorisations and registrations you need to fill in a customs declaration.
- If you use the Customs Declaration Services, you need a Katso ID (Master User ID or a Katso ID, to which the role CUSTOMS - Customs clearance has been granted).
- Obtain a Katso ID from the Tax Administration (vero.fi).
- You may also need other forms of identification, such as an EORI number or a registration for exports.
- When you have the authorisations you need, the customs clearance can usually also be carried out through message exchange.
The goods have to be declared to Customs and cleared before you can receive or send them.TULLI.fi
- You can clear the goods through customs yourself or use an agent. Warehousing and transit service can also be bought.
- The customs clearance must be carried out within the given time limit. The deadlines are different according to the procedures. The common factor is that you have to contact Customs in advance for each procedure.
What if something goes wrong?
- If you notice that you've made an error when clearing your consignment through customs, you can file a claim for revision within the time limit. The declarant or agent can file the claim for revision.
- Depending on the situation we talk about revising, invalidating or cancelling declarations or correcting the accounts.
- Read more about appeals.