Temporary admission

Temporary admission with total or partial relief from import duties can be granted to non-Union goods that are brought into the EU to be used for a set duration for purposes prescribed by law and under the prescribed requirements.

As a rule, the holder of an authorisation for temporary admission must be a person established outside the customs territory of the Union.

Customs does not apply trade policy measures to temporarily imported goods, unless the measures prohibit the entry of goods into the customs territory of the Union, or their exit from the said territory.

Import duties such as customs duties and value added tax are not usually levied in connection with temporary admission. Temporary admission can be partly or entirely exempt from import duties. However, in most cases Customs requires a guarantee that corresponds to the amount of import duties.

Further information: Customs duty and value added tax

When the time limit expires, the goods must be re-exported from the customs territory of the Union in the same condition as they were in upon import to the Union.

Points to consider

  • pallets, spare parts of pallets, supplies and equipment
  • containers, spare parts of containers, and supplies
  • means of transport and their spare parts, supplies and equipment
  • personal effects and goods for sports purposes imported by travellers
  • welfare material for seafarers
  • disaster relief material
  • medical, surgical and laboratory equipment
  • animals
  • sound, image or data carrying media, as well as publicity material
  • professional equipment
  • pedagogic material and scientific equipment
  • packings
  • moulds, dies, blocks, drawings, sketches, measuring, checking and testing instruments and other similar articles
  • special tools and instruments
  • goods used to carry out tests
  • goods to be subjected to tests
  • samples
  • replacement means of production
  • goods for events or for sale
  • spare parts, accessories and equipment

  • Temporary admission as exempt from customs duties is granted in return for compensation or free of compensation for, for example, means of road transport used for industrial or commercial transports of goods. Such means of transport are to be registered in the name of a person outside the customs territory of the European Union who is based outside the said territory.
  • A person who declares a means of transport for the temporary admission procedure must be based outside the EU.
  • Usually, means of transport registered outside the EU have been placed under the temporary admission procedure with an oral declaration or some other way.
  • Means of transport that are brought to the EU under the temporary admission procedure must not be left in the territory of the EU without the person entitled to use the means of transport being present there.
  • The means of transport may be left in the customs territory of the European Union temporarily and as exempt from customs duty only for the time period required for transport.
  • When the time required for the transport has expired for means of transport in commercial use, the temporary admission procedure must be discharged with another customs procedure, which in the case of third-country transport equipment is usually re-export.
  • The length of time required for the transport varies. The main rule is that the vehicle must exit the territory of the EU without delay once the tasks relating to transport are completed.
  • In each individual case, Customs considers whether the means of transport has remained in the customs territory of the EU for a time longer than required for completing the transport task.
  • In cases where a means of transport is regarded as having stayed in the customs territory of the European Union for a time longer than required for the transport, and there is no acceptable reason for exceeding the time limit, Customs will levy the appropriate import duties on the means of transport. Customs keeps possession the means of transport until the import duties are paid. 

Applied legislation:

  • Union Customs Code, Regulation (EU) 952/2013, Articles 215, 250 and 251
  • Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2015/2446, Articles 212 and 217


You can apply for authorisation for applying the procedure with a customs declaration, in which case you provide the necessary additional information on a message-format declaration, on a SAD form (section 44) or, when necessary, on an attached document. As an attached document, you can use for example customs form 658s, or some other document that contains the corresponding information. Customs grants authorisation for using the procedure when your goods are released for the temporary admission procedure.

You can apply for a regular temporary admission authorisation in advance with customs form 1017s.

A regular authorisation is not required for the temporary admission procedure. In practice, you can always apply for authorisation to use the procedure with a customs declaration.

You cannot apply for authorisation with a customs declaration when you wish to utilise corresponding goods in your activity, or when you are applying for a “retrospective” authorisation.

In certain cases, an oral customs declaration can serve as an application for a temporary admission authorisation, for example as concerns a means of transport imported on a trailer. An act considered a customs declaration can also serve as an application, for example when you choose the green channel at a customs office. However, you should always present customs form 613s when providing an oral customs declaration.

Goods brought in temporarily must be either re-exported or placed under a subsequent customs procedure within the given time limit.

If goods have not been re-exported or placed under a subsequent customs procedure within the time limit for ending the prescribed procedure or moved to another holder of a procedure, the holder of the authorisation must report this to the supervising customs office. A customs debt is incurred for such goods according to Article 79 of the Union Customs Code. Article 85 of the Union Customs Code is to be implemented when the amount of customs debt is determined.

A customs declaration is not required for temporary admission when goods are imported under an ATA or CPD Carnet. An ATA or CPD Carnet serves as a customs clearance document in which Customs makes the necessary entries. ATA and CPD Carnets also comprise an acceptable guarantee for import goods.

Goods exported under an ATA or CPD Carnet must be re-exported within the given time limit (max. one year), and the goods must be transported to the original country of departure where the Carnet must be returned to the chamber of commerce that issued it.

Carnets are international customs documents. The following goods can be temporarily imported and exported with ATA Carnets to countries that are parties to the customs convention in question. The following goods can also be imported from Taiwan to the EU or exported from EU Member States to Taiwan with a CPD/China-Taiwan Carnet.

  • exhibition goods
  • professional equipment
  • commercial samples.

ATA Carnets are granted upon application by chambers of commerce in each of the contracting countries. Further information on ATA and CPD Carnets is available on the website of the Finland Chamber of Commerce.

Please note that Carnets do not replace other documents that possibly need to be presented upon import, nor do they replace permits such as licences for the import of firearms, or health certificates.

  • Union Customs Code (Regulation (EU) No 952/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council), Articles 77, 79–80, 85, 210–225, 250–253.
  • Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2015/2447, Article 264–269 
  • Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2015/2446, Articles 81, 136, 139, 169, 174, 178-180, 182, 204–238
  • Transitional regulation (EU) 2016/341, Articles 22 and 55 

Contact us
Customs Information Service, Business customers
Monday to Friday 8 am–4 pm

Contact Customs Information

The cost of a call from a landline or mobile phone subscription is 0 cents/min + local network charge/ standard mobile rate.


Help us improve our site content

We want to improve our service, which is why your feedback is valuable to us. If you have ideas on how our web services could be developed further or if you wish to give us feedback, please let us know.

Send feedback