An express claim can be made before the day the taxes in the customs clearance decision are due if the taxes have not already been paid. The condition is that you deliver the petition of appeal to the registry office no later than one week before the decision to be corrected is due.
If the Customs’ corrections office has processed the matter as an express claim, a registered credit customer of Customs can, based on this decision, subtract the corresponding remitted amount from their own periodic invoice.
If the conditions for an express claim are not met, the application is processed in the normal order, as it becomes pending. In this case, the customs clearance taxes must be paid by the due date and the processing of the application may take 3–4 months. Commodity code corrections and ambiguous applications cannot be processed as express claims.
An express claim can be used to process e.g. amendment applications to amend an incorrect declarant. In that case, a replacement decision with the right declarant information must be submitted with the application, but with the same tax determination date as in the original decision (so called exceptional tax determination date). One must be able to determine the correct declarant in the attached documents, for example in an invoice.
How do I lodge an express claim?
Send the express claim to the Customs registry office. Write ‘Express claim application’ clearly in the email subject field. The application itself must also state that you are applying for an express claim. Apply for an express claim primarily with customs form 643s (in Finnish or Swedish). Please note! Section 3. Payment information, must absolutely be filled in.
- Customs form 643s (in Finnish or Swedish)
- Completion instructions, form 643s (in Finnish or Swedish)
Attach the following to the application:
- customs clearance decision to be revised
- replacement clearance decision with the accurate declarant information
- trade invoice
- documents from which the correctness of the amendment can be verified
- when requesting preferential treatment based on origin, the original certificate of origin
- the warehouse keeper’s assurance, if it is a case where the temporary storage operator or warehouse keeper does not release the goods from the temporary storage facility or customs warehouse, e.g. because of an incorrect number of packages in the decision on release.
When is a replacement decision needed?
A replacement decision with correct details is required when
- the customs clearance has been done in the wrong declarant’s name
- revising an incorrect form of representation
- the customs clearance has the wrong number of packages or the gross mass is incorrect, and the goods are released from a temporary storage facility or a customs warehouse
- the customs procedure is incorrect (this is only allowed under certain circumstances)
- when the temporary storage operator or warehouse keeper cannot release the goods for other reasons.
Points to consider
You can lodge an express claim if the customs invoice relating to the customs clearance decision has not yet been paid and there is at least seven days until the invoice is due. Only applications for lowering of the taxes can be processed as express claims. Applications involving requests for subsequent recovery and changes to the commodity code cannot be processed as express claims.
Read more: Express claims